Sunday, September 09, 2007

1 Year Anniversary


One year ago today we arrived in Vero Beach. Our moving van and accompanying vehicles were packed to the gills, and we were excited about the future. What a 12 months it has been! Above is a picture of us this morning after church, and below are some highlights and lowlights of the year:

September 2006:
  • We saw the space shuttle Atlantis launch on our very first day in Florida. We stopped in Titusville on our way into Vero Beach, so we were pretty close it it. What a welcome!

  • Making some great new friends, like the Schwartz family and the Shavers across the street. Jonathan became good friends with a fellow student, Nathan Kroeker.

  • Matthew starts the 1st grade at his new school, Glendale Elementary. He does really well there!

  • Colson and I started Community Bible Study again. I miss my NC class, but this one was good as well. Colson also really enjoyed being in a class of his own.

  • Of course, Jonathan started his classes at Flight Safety. It was so amazing to see him in his uniform for the first time!
October:
  • My mom met the Shavers while they vacationed in North Carolina. She even brought them a few items that I forgot to pack for Florida and they hauled them down in the back of their van. I have my kitchen mixing bowls again!!
  • Jonathan begins many occasions of being frustrated with the lack of flight time in his schedule. The school is simply under-staffed and over-enrolled.

  • Among several weeks of "church hopping", we attended King's Baptist for the first time during October. This is the congregation we eventually joined.
  • Colson stands and takes his first few steps-- on his way to walking!
  • I did lots of Rachael Ray recipes, in this month and in many others.
  • We got to meet our New York landlord, Steve Zolga. Nice guy!
  • I loved the card-making party at King's Baptist!

November

  • Matthew begins the Awana program at church. He really enjoys going and I love the fact that they're learning good Bible lessons and verses.
  • My parents visit for Thanksgiving. When they showed up I was sick, but we still had a great time together.

  • Jonathan goes to Jacksonville to watch our Demon Deacons win the football ACC championship!
  • Jonathan earns his multi-engine rating, which was a huge accomplishment and milestone for him.
December
  • I ran into some childhood friends, the Lersch's at a neighborhood carnival. What an amazing "coincidence"!

  • Jonathan flies to Key West with Nathan. They fly over our house, go into a restaurant on the island and even wave hello to me on an internet web cam!

  • Colson begins outpatient therapy at Healthsouth. He is given occupational, physical and speech therapy, up to four total sessions a week. We also begin learning sign language, which proves to be very helpful in our communication with him.

  • We officially joined King's Baptist. Jonathan grew up in the denomination, but it's the first time I've been a registered Southern Baptist!

  • Our first holiday season in Florida... it had it's own certain charm, to be sure.

  • Jonathan's parents came to visit for post-Christmas/pre-New Year's. They took us to Disneyworld and we had a great time.

January 2007

  • We took our very first family-of-four portrait at church. Colson was wiggly and screamy, but we managed to pull it off!
  • My brother Donovan and his wife Jennifer adopt a beautiful newborn boy. They named him David Michael Woodside. He shares the same initials as his father, grandfather and great-grandfather Woodside. Welcome to the family, David!

February

  • Not wanting too much time to pass in David's young life, I drove by myself to Louisiana to meet David. I've never driven that far on my own before, but I loved it. We had a great visit, and I can't wait to get back again.

  • Jonathan gets his instrument rating!

March

  • We went to an Easter egg hunt with the Schwartz's. Colson seemed to "get it" a little more than he did last year.

  • Life is pretty busy, with Matthew's and Jonathan's school activities, Colson's therapy sessions, church activities... I barely kept any blog notes this month.

April

  • Birthday central: Laura (36), Jonathan (37) and Colson turned 2. It's been an incredibly fast 2 years, I tell you.
  • Our friend Carol Shaver had her EIGHTH child, Joseph Benjamin. She amazes me.
  • Jonathan's parents come for another visit. It was so good to see them again. Jonathan flew his dad down to Marathon Key.

May

  • Matthew turns 7-- festivities at school and at the Schwartz's house
  • I'm interviewed for a weight loss magazine called Diet 2008, coming out next winter. In conjunction with that, I create my second blog, First Place Victory.
  • Jonathan does acrobatic training. VERY exciting stuff!
  • Colson discovers the joy of the telephone...

June

  • And the boys discover the joy of playing in and getting soaked in the rain...
  • Pam Schwartz and I start getting together on Saturday mornings to play tennis
  • Matthew finishes up 1st grade and this year's Awana program.
  • Matthew begins taking summer piano lessons with Julliard-trained Kelley Coppage.
  • Jonathan and Matthew travel to Titusville to once again see Atlantis rocket into space.
  • Vacation Bible School at King's Baptist-- Matthew attended, Jonathan and I volunteered as teachers. Exhausting week.

July

  • My parents come to visit for the 4th of July. While I have much to be thankful for, it's been a draining several months (busy schedules, dealing with Matthew's ADHD issues). It was just so nice to see my mommy and daddy.
  • Matthew attends a day camp at First United Methodist church in Vero. I'm really frazzled by this point and welcome the daily break.

August 2007

  • Matthew and Jonathan go to a weekend camp at the space center in Alabama
  • School starts again for Matthew. Hallelujah.
  • Jonathan's brother Chris comes to visit. I go nuts with cooking!
  • Photo shoot for my appearance in Diet 2008. A surreal moment, to be sure!


****************************************************



So that's our year! Thanks be to God for his provision and guidance as we work this crazy Grand Scheme. Thanks also to all of you for your prayers and support. Here's to another great twelve months!

No comments: