Monday, November 05, 2007

Deceptively Delicious?

In an effort to try to get some nutrients in my super-finicky eater Colson, I've been trying recipes from Jessica Seinfeld, wife of comedian Jerry Seinfeld. She tries the old trick of hiding vegetable and fruit purees in foods that kids like, so that they unknowingly get good nutrients. She still works on getting her kids to eat whole vegetables and fruit, but if it takes years to get them on board, in the meantime they're eating good stuff.



So far I've made 3 recipes. None of them were given the "thumbs up" by either of my children! I tried the Rice Balls (pg. 87 in her book, Deceptively Delicious), but Jonathan ended up eating most of them.



Then I tried the brownies, and while the flavor is wonderfully chocolatey, the texture is kind of odd. It's not "cakey" enough. So, once again Jonathan and I are happy, but the kids are saying "yuck".



Finally tonight I made the meatloaf. I thought for SURE this would be a shoe-in! Both my boys like meatloaf. And the response was....NO GO! I think Matthew's response was tied to the bad mood he was in-- I had a nice slice of the dish and it tasted slightly different than my usual meatloaf, but it was yummy! And Colson gave his usual "bleah" face after trying a bite. Groan...

I'll keep trying...

No comments: