Friday, February 16, 2007

Spontaneous Journey

Long story short... I drove to Louisiana today. All by myself. More than 12 hours on the road, with no stops except for fuel and bathroom. The Lord was merciful and I did really well. At the end of my journey I was more tired from lack of sleep (haven't slept well the last few nights) than anything else.

Yesterday it was decided that it would be a good weekend for me to go meet my new nephew David, as my son Matthew has off of school Friday and Monday this weekend. I left the boys at home and took off early this morning. Jonathan was so kind to take care of the boys (car-less) for a long weekend, and I'm grateful that I'm going to see David before he grows up!

On the way to Prairieville (outside Baton Rouge), I stopped in Biloxi, MS where I lived for three years (1993-1996). I haven't been there in over 10 years, so of course I hadn't seen the Katrina devastation. It took me a while to find a bridge that was still open into the town, but I got in. My old house on 1010 Howard Avenue is still standing. In fact, it looks like it got a facelift in recent years:



The pier where Jonathan proposed to me in 1994 is obliterated, though. All that remains are the posts coming out of the water; you can't walk on it. But the lighthouse nearby still remains...







My apologies to old friends whom I didn't get to see this trip. I blew into town, visited with the baby and blew out of there. Any time spent in between was really recovering, getting strength and rest for the ride home...

No comments: