Sunday, December 03, 2006

Would you like some holiday cheese with that whine?

I had my first real hard pang of missing my old house today. While looking through Better Homes and Gardens, I longed to have my big house back. This little box of a house doesn't lend itself to looking very Christmassy, and I struggle with decorating for Christmas as it is (no comments from the peanut gallery!). I found myself getting depressed over the fact that I don't have a fireplace to hang our stockings above or enough space in the den to even have much of a Charlie Brown tree. And forget lights! We have a scrawny pole of a tree in the front yard that could easily pass for a short flagpole. A string of lights might kill the thing!

Whine, whine...I'll get over it. The fact is, Christmas isn't about the decorations and Better Homes and Gardens' view of things anyway. It's about God becoming Man and coming to be with us and loving us.

And besides, it's an honor, privilege and miracle that we're here in Vero, and I'm more than grateful. There will be other Christmases when I can pretend I'm Martha Stewart and go crazy with making a perfect holiday home. In the meantime, I'm happy with our whole-package life here all year 'round.

No comments: