As I pushed Colson along in his stroller and tried to keep Matthew on task (there's so much to see!!), I was struck with a not-so-profound realization. This mall is like every other mall I've ever been in. The decor is the same, the feel is the same, the selection of stores is exactly the same.
I had the not-so-pleasant feeling of living in a homogenous society, where we all have the same things, and there's very little variety. We all have our Wal-Mart, our mall stores, our CVS pharmacy, our BP stations. It almost feels like every suburban town is just another copy of the last one. Unsettling.
Of course, having said that, I find some amount of comfort in the sameness. I can get the items I've been using and needing for years, and I know where to go to get them. I needed some $1 headphones for Matthew, so I ran to the local Dollar Tree and got them. I need to fill a prescription, I go to my CVS as usual and get it filled. I venture a guess that the sameness has kept some homesickness at bay.
And our entire world isn't the same-- it's 90 degrees here, there are palm trees and no maple or ash trees. It's flat and sandy. And there are egrets walking the streets! Plus, Matthew also enjoys finding geckos and little frogs around our property. He calls the geckos "greenie" or "brownie", depending on the color. Funny world.
On a side note... that evening Jonathan was up late studying and preparing for a night flight for tomorrow. He spent hours making calculations and tabulating numbers, and as he did, I snapped this photo:

Colson is trying very hard to walk these days. He's managing to stand independently for short periods of time. We're thrilled he's getting on his way-- he should be, at 18 months! Here's a picture of our proud boy:
No comments:
Post a Comment