Friday, November 03, 2006

Can't Go Back

Colson still wasn't feeling great today. Still had a moderate fever, congestion and vomited once in the morning. We stayed home from Bible study so he could get better. I called the doctor and got some advice on OTC meds, as he's not technically old enough to take the 2 year-old meds yet. He got some infant Tylenol Cold and it helped.

Didn't have to cook dinner tonight, as Matthew earned a free pizza from Pizza Hut for reading a bunch in October for school. Jonathan took him over to the restaurant and he enjoyed his fun meal. It's been amazing to see how quickly his reading skills have been progressing. It was just this summer that he was barely reading at all, and now he's reading stuff that's above his grade level. Amazing.

Since it's "that time of year" (although you can't tell down here in this Florida weather), I made Jonathan some pumpkin bread tonight. I'm not crazy about pumpkin, so this wasn't a big nutritional temptation for me. It turned out well and the batch didn't last very long in the house.
Jonathan turned in early tonight and somehow I ended up watching some short videos on the internet. Do any of you remember the old 1970's shows Isis and Shazaam, which came on Saturday mornings? They were big favorites of mine, especially Isis. I found some clips of the shows on YouTube and had quite an experience watching them. It was an odd sensation, seeing footage that hasn't been registered in my brain in almost 30 years, yet remembering every moment. There was a feeling of wonder and joy that I used to feel when I watched these shows, and that was wonderful. The sad part of the experience was viewing the shows through my semi-adult mind. The production values, acting and scripts were terrible. Designed for kids, I know, but still awful. It's amazing to think that I thought these superheroes could fly at all! The special effects were just horrendous. So in short, it was wonderful to see all this again, but in a way it destroyed my rose-colored memory of them. It's just not the same when you see it as an adult. I guess you can never go back.

No comments: