Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Treats, pokes and schlock

Since it's supposedly holiday time here in Florida, I thought I'd make a special treat breakfast for the guys. I made this super-easy Egg Nog Bread Pudding recipe from the January 7th issue of Woman's Day. They loved it, and it helped me use up alot of the 1/2 gallon of egg nog we had on hand from Thanksgiving. Less temptation lurking in the fridge for me, tasty meal for them!

Colson had an early appointment at the doctor this morning to get the 2nd part of his flu shot. He wasn't too happy about getting poked, but at least he'll be inoculated. He was weighed again-- 24 lbs, 10 ounces. Still on the low end of the scale for his age. I wish he would eat better.

Last night/this morning Colson woke up at 3am and a couple of times during the 5am hour, so I indulged during his nap time and took a nap myself! Such a nice treat. Usually when I try to nap during his rest time I don't fall asleep-- I start thinking of all the stuff I have to do, I don't calm down enough to rest. But I was so tired today that I fell asleep within moments of lying down. Pooped out!

There was an interesting moment while reading with Matthew tonight. He'd brought home a book from school, a book in the Junie B. Jones series for kids. He did his 15 minutes of reading, but after that I planned to send the book back to school. I was really surprised at the content in the book-- potty language, bad grammar and inappropriate manners. I know the book reflects "kids being kids", but this went further than I was willing to go. We're going to ask his teacher to have him pick other books in the future, and we hope our request is met with understanding. It just amazes me that with all the good literature out there, they'd put in the hands of our children books that don't encourage learning and manners, but instead books that say things like "You're a big fat poopiehead,", "I slept real good last night," and "Me and him went over there." Call me a literary snob, but that's how I feel...

No comments: