Monday, September 04, 2006

Labor Day Packing

We had a low key morning, the kids didn't wake up terribly early, which was nice. After breakfast, my dad met with Jon Fulton across the street. They're distant relatives and Mr. Fulton had some family heritage/geneology stuff to give him. Dad was thrilled! Then soon mom and dad were packed up and were off by 11am.

Jonathan's dad arrived in the morning before my folks left and helped JH load up more stuff to go to our storage facility. After they and my parents left, I put Colson down for a nap and got in a workout. I picked one of my old favorites, as I knew it would probably be my last time to exercise in the basement room. It's been so nice to have that space-- underground (cool air), lots of space, private. It's been a huge help in my weight loss efforts this year, and I'm going to miss the luxury.

Shirley arrived while I was exercising, and she pretty much took care of the kids all day. After Colson's nap, she took the boys out and about town and stayed away for most of the day. It made packing up SO much easier, without the distraction of our lovely children to contend with.

I took a short 30 minute break to visit with my dear friends Conrad and Angie Chee, who came by to visit and say goodbye. After many years of waiting, I was THRILLED to see Angie pregnant, baby due in March. They're going to make such good parents, and I'm so sad I won't be around to see the baby in his/her first months.

As soon as they left I got back to packing and spent the rest of the day doing just that. My Dad called in the evening; he'd left his laptop at my house and absolutely needed it for work tomorrow. We planned to meet in Salisbury, NC, about halfway to his house. Shirley was very gracious to offer to run out there for me so I could continue packing.

I put Matthew to bed, taking it slow, as it might be the last time I do it in this house. I'm so sad we couldn't stay longer. But as I told Jonathan earlier today, at least we're going by choice and are not being forced out.

We kept packing after the boys were in bed, and then turned in to sleep ourselves. Even though we'll be plenty busy tomorrow, we're much more packed up now than I thought we'd be. I think we've got a good shot at making the church picnic Wednesday for dinner. That would be a great way to sign off-- a good meal (which we won't have access to in our empty kitchen!) and a final chance to say goodbye to church friends. Here's hoping!

It's amazing to think that tomorrow night will be our last night sleeping in this house. In alot of ways I'm really sad about that. I'm going to miss this place so much.

No comments: