Monday, July 17, 2006

Hard endings

After a good breakfast, I took Matthew to Calvary Baptist for Vacation Bible School. I was excited about it, as he's never been to a VBS, he hasn't had alot of fun summer activities due to lack of funds, and he needs time away from me (or maybe it's the other way around). He was thrilled to ride the golf/shuttle cart through the huge parking lot up to the main entrance. There were tons of people there. Very "Calvary style"-- they do everything up big. We stood in line for a little while and got him placed in a class. I was pleased to see that a friend of mine was to be one of his teachers. Whew!

I went home for a couple of hours. Did the usual stuff, got in a workout, Colson took a short nap, and then we were off to pick up Matthew again. He seemed to have had a great time, and my friend said he behaved, which was a relief.

We had a regular afternoon at home, staying inside out of the heat. I didn't get much done around the house, though-- Colson has become very clingy and won't let me put him down much. So it's either hold him and get less done, or put him down and deal with the screaming... by the time I went to pick up Jonathan from work at 6pm, I was tired and frustrated with no dinner ready yet. Jonathan was so sweet-- even after a 11 hour work day, he took the kids from me and told me not to fret. Such a good man. He ended up having his hands quite full, post-dinner activities didn't go well, and we were all glad when Matthew was in bed. He's a challenge to parent, to say the least.

After the kids were in bed we started to watch a library copy of The Phantom of the Opera, but were too tired to finish it.

Between issues of parenting and selling this house, things are not the greatest right now. I have much to be thankful for and I'm not whining, but this is not the easiest season for us. Praying it will pass on by, but I get the feeling it won't be any time soon.

No comments: