Friday, August 04, 2006

Fleet Feet

Not much to post today. In "Grand Scheme" developments, it's looking more and more like we're going to go for the weekend of September 9th as our moving date. We've just got to find an affordable (about $1000 a month) place to live and someone to take care of our yard and pool while we're gone before the closing. Maybe we'll get lucky and the new owners will want to rent the house from us for a month. Or maybe just be hired to clean the pool. Dunno. Lots to work out.

On a random note, I had a really neat experience at Fleet Feet in Winston-Salem today. My workout shoes are shot, and I think the lack of cushioning may have contributed to my hurting my foot last week. So I went in to see what this new store (opened yesterday) had to offer. It's Tax-free weekend here in Winston, so I knew I could save at least a little bit.

I was so impressed with their service-- they treated me like a queen, even though I'm not a typical 115-pound marathon runner. I'm more of what the call a "Clydesdale". They played with the kids, measured my feet two different ways (standing and sitting), examined my gait (walking and running), asked me tons of questions about my usage habits, injuries, etc. They found a perfect pair of shoes for me, some Saucony's with lots of cushioning, motion control and toe room. The price they offered me was, to put it mildly, amazing. They are so kind.

I know it's these people's jobs to do what they did today, but I don't find it to be a common experience for me. When I go into most running shops, I usually get a moderately-polite, "Yes, how may I help you...?" and minimal diagnosis of my needs. They get the sale, but there's little service. Not only did these people get the sale, but they made me really happy, accomodated my needs and even played with the kids. Beyond the usual call of duty. So nice.

Okay, enough blabbering about a shoe store. I just had to vent about something positive for once!

No comments: