The hurricane came through overnight and during the day today, so alot of things were closed. Fortunately, our realtor Vickie was willing to do business with us. She understood that we were leaving town in the morning and needed to get the house that we picked all settled. We drove over to her office, and the streets were virtually deserted. It was amusing, because this hurricane was really a non-event, but the town shut down anyway. It was windy and rainy, but certainly not a dangerous hurricane. It's akin to when Winston-Salem's meteorologists call for snow and we all go into panic mode, and then nothing happens. Schools and businesses shut down, and it's all for naught. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.
At first we had trouble reaching the homeowner's realtor, Liz Sherman, whom we'd met the day before on another house showing. For a minute there I was afraid we wouldn't be able to get any business done because of the hurricane, but I knew the Lord had everything under control, so I quickly calmed down. Fortunately, after some waiting, Liz called Vickie back and we were able to get some paperwork done.
Thankfully, we got the feeling that Liz was really in our corner when it came to securing this house. She'd met us yesterday and apparently knew we could be trusted. She viewed us as honest Christian folk and said that the owners would be lucky to have us as tenants. This reassured me that everything was going to be okay, not for my ego's sake, but just knowing that both realtors really did want to help get us settled.
While at the Re/Max office with Vickie I got a call from our Winston-Salem realtor Eleanor. Our buyers want to move our closing date up to September 20th, which is great news! Everything is falling into place, and before noon today we pretty much were done with our major task of the trip: finding a place to live. We still have some final paperwork to sign and fax back and forth, but we're basically finished. I was amazed it happened so quickly and easily, but then again, maybe I shouldn't have been so astonished...
After our real estate dealings, we went by the Indian River County school board office. We began a file on Matthew, to be completed once our lease is finalized. We're going to apply to get him into a good magnet school, but even if he's placed in his neighborhood school (Glendale Elementary), that's a fine institution as well.
We tried to go by the public library-- I've been looking at it online and I can't wait to check it out. But they were shut down for the hurricane. Oh well. Something to look forward to later.
We went by the cable company to talk about internet rates, and they're running a $25/month special through the end of the month. The representative we spoke to, Carolyn, was very nice and said if we came back in a couple of weeks she'd be willing to still give us the August promotion. We'd planned to spend $40 a month on internet, so this is a nice deal. It'll help make up for the extra expense of paying for our garbage collection at our house, which we hadn't planned on doing when we were budgeting.
We ran a couple more errands, then went back to Flight Safety for the rest of the day. We went by the main office and spoke to Mary, a lady that JH's has been talking with on the phone about his student loan issues. She was so nice and welcoming, and even a bit humorous. We also met another lady JH has been talking with, I think her name was Vicky. She has a 6 year-old daughter and had much to say about her. I made an attempt at using the school's fitness room treadmill, but it was broken. Instead I did a workout DVD in our room.
We had a quiet evening together, enjoying time alone before the insanity hits before we return.
It still amazes me that we found our house on Day 1 and were basically done before noon on Day 2. So cool.
No comments:
Post a Comment