Friday, May 05, 2006

Cinco De Mayo

Quite a full day...

We all woke up early so that Jonathan could take Matthew to Waffle House for his birthday breakfast for the 3rd year in a row. Back in 2004 Paw Paw Hartness gave us a bunch of coupons for free waffles, and we used them up quickly, making a tour of all the Waffle Houses in the area. Months later, even after the coupons were gone, when we asked Matthew where he wanted to eat for his birthday. His answer was, "Waffle House, of course!" In an effort to try to eat healthy, I mentioned that I would get a salad for my meal. Matthew's response was, "Mom, you can't get a salad! It's Waffle House, not Salad House!!" We cracked up laughing.

Jonathan took Matthew to school, while I stayed back at home and decorated cupcakes for Matthew. Later I took them and Colson to Matthew's school for his special day. The kids had them later during snack time. I read the book I Wanna Iguana to the class and sat with Matthew during his lunch. He got to buy his lunch for the first time (he usually brings it from home), and he was so excited to have us there and to get a "tray lunch".


















After my time at Matthew's school, I went home to get the house in order. The carpets were pretty much dry, so I had to get all the furniture back in order. There was also the usual tidying up to do. An agent had reserved our house for showing from 3-5pm.

When Matthew got home from school, we did our other usual yearly ritual of his birthday portrait. I cut his hair so he'd look nice, and we headed out to Wal-Mart for an inexpensive $9 portrait package. Before getting started I got him a new red and blue polo shirt, and then he took a nice photo in the studio. Colson's 1-year portraits were ready for pick up, and they turned out great! Perfect timing for Mother's Day cards!

After the photo session I did some usual grocery shopping, but with Matthew there it wasn't the usual routine. "Stressful" would be putting it mildly. And to top it off, the real estate agent kept delaying the showing, so by the time we were allowed to go home, it was almost 4 hours later at 6:45!

During our time after grocery but before we were allowed to go home, we went to Jonathan's office. JH and MH ate their dinners there, and I ran back to Wal-Mart with Colson. I'd forgotten Matthew's old polo shirt in the studio! Another 25 minutes later I was picking the guys up to go home, tired and ready for the day to be over.

And after all the rigamarole, the real estate agent let us know that the customer isn't interested in buying the house. Oh well...

As Matthew got ready for bed, he was flooded with calls from well-wishers. He was mighty popular tonight! Can't believe he's already 6 years old. More than half a decade. We're 1/3 of the way to age 18. Amazing.

**************************************************************

At some point today I spoke with cousin Sean Bunn, telling him about the Grand Scheme. I mentioned the idea of wanting to just GO for this crazy plan, and even if we fail terribly at this, at least we know we tried. It brought to mind a quote from the end of Elizabethtown, an odd movie we saw a while back, but there was a good line at the end:

"No true fiasco ever began as a quest for mere adequacy."

I hope this doesn't turn into a fiasco, but at least I know we're not attempting mere adequacy. With the Lord's help, maybe this will turn out okay...

No comments: